Recent Storm Damage Posts
Cecil County's Reconstruction Team for Storm Damage and More!
SERVPRO of Cecil County provides a full range of services to our local Elkton area including those involving fire and water restoration, mold remediation and general cleaning. But did you know that we also provide full Reconstruction services for when things go wrong? We are proud to have an entire department set aside just for these services so that we may immediately assist our local Elkton community with their rebuild needs after storm damage as well as fire, water or mold damage.
During the storm of Hurricane Isaias, our restoration team worked hard to restore hundreds of homes and businesses in our Cecil County community from the overwhelming storm damage that occurred. Our storm damage services included water mitigation, advanced drying techniques and treatment of the damaged areas. Extensively damaged content had to be removed, often including portions of ceilings, walls and flooring. After the storm restoration was complete, the Reconstruction team was happy to take over in order to complete the rest of the process.
Our Reconstruction Department provides a wide range of services in order to fully restore your home or facility "Like it never even happened." These services include repairs to areas such as your roof or flooring in addition to services such as drywall installation and painting.
SERVPRO of Cecil County is happy to partner with our Reconstruction Department in order to fully restore your property from fire, water, mold or storm damage. We provide immediate emergency services for storm damage including damages caused by hurricanes and other harsh conditions. To learn more about our complete restoration and rebuild services, call us today at 410-620-3322!
Aiding in the Texas Storm Damage!
SERVPRO of Cecil County is currently aiding in the recovery efforts for our citizens suffering in Texas and Oklahoma after the frigid temperatures they experienced this winter. These residents were left without power for days. Due to the winter cold, many have also experienced water damage due to frozen pipes.
Our Elkton team is currently working day and night to help restore many homes in these states that have already suffered so much. We hope to be able to create some relief for the victims of this unforeseen storm damage.
Our Elkton Storm team is one of many in the United States that mobilizes when in need. We recently worked together with our fellow SERVPRO franchises during the event of Hurricane Isaias, where hundreds of local Pennsylvania and Maryland residents were left with storm flooding. When it comes to large storm events, we are always here when you need us, no matter where that may be.
Does Your Cecil County Home Experience Flooding Every Time it Rains?
Living in Cecil County often brings weather patterns involving various levels of rainfall. If your home floods each time the rain falls, the repetitive water damage is only the beginning of your problem since this is a sign of an underlying issue. This recent ceiling collapse in our local Elkton area was caused by significant water damage. However, storm damage like this can be avoided if the proper precautions are taken.
What Can You Do to Resolve This Issue?
- Inspect your home for structural issues and signs of water damage including cracks and water marks.
- Make sure your windows and doors are properly installed and sealed to avoid even a light rain from entering the structure.
- Check your sewage and plumbing system for maintenance issues or signs of blockage. Clean out your system on an annual basis.
- Ensure that water is not collecting near your home, but rather flowing away using your gutter system.
- Connect a drainage system to the sump pump; this allows the storm water to easily escape your home.
Flood water can bring in dirt and other contaminants from outside, and they can be harmful. Once the water is removed, it is important to remove all signs of water and thoroughly clean all surfaces that the flooding has affected. Hiring a certified professional is often best for this task.
SERVPRO of Cecil County’s cleaning and restoration team is highly trained to properly handle biohazard, sewage and other storm damage events where the task is a bit overwhelming and threatens the environment of your home. We clean and remove all signs of contamination from your Elkton property in order to ensure your safety. Our 24/7 emergency response team is prepared at a moment’s notice to assist you with your sewage, flooding or storm damage.
How To Prevent Storm Damage in Your Elkton Home
During a cold snap, your Cecil County home can experience a significant water damage event due to the frigid temperatures. A substantial snowstorm or even a burst of cold weather can cause a large threat to your home.
One risk of storm damage is the formation of an ice dam. This is ice that has built up at the edge of a roof and blocks the gutters and other drainage along the roof. When the snow begins to melt, the water therefore has nowhere to drain and then begins to leak into the structure. Once the water damage begins to grow, signs of damage can be found on areas such as your walls and ceilings. If the damage isn’t resolved in time, it can then lead to further water damage including flooding.
In addition, frozen pipes are a significant factor of storm damage during the winter. If a pipe freezes or breaks, substantial water can leak into your home. Signs of frozen pipes include no running water, cracked pipes, or wet drywall. It is important to inspect your pipes during the cold months for signs of this issue. This photo shows a collapsed ceiling after two pipes froze and broke inside of a local Elkton home, causing extensive damage.
Should you experience any type of water damage this winter, SERVPRO of Cecil County can handle any size storm event from a small leak to a substantial flooding. Our storm restoration professionals are always ready when storm damage strikes.
Preventing a Roof Collapse After a Winter Storm
Winter weather can lead to significant structural damage, including a roof collapse. SERVPRO of Cecil County often answers the call to assist with this type of storm damage, and we immediately offer our roof tarping services in order to eliminate further issues.
These further issues can’t always be avoided, which is when we offer to complete the proper water mitigation and reconstruction services that often are caused from a roof collapse. Our Reconstruction Department can even repair or replace your entire roof if needed. However, we hope to see extensive damage such as this prevented before it can appear. Below, we list some preventative actions you can take in order to avoid a roof collapse from snowfall.
- Inspect your roof for issues and make the proper repairs. Look for warning signs such as cracked or bent walls, wet roof tiles, or leaks.
- Ensure that your attic is insulated correctly. This will help to melt the snow quickly and more efficiently to prevent any storm damage.
- Business owners should have an emergency plan for all storm damage and the proper snow removal protocol. This plan should be finalized before the winter season begins.
- Clear out all dirt and debris from your drains and gutters. When the snow melts, this allows the water to easily flow away from your property and therefore not cause a clog or water collection around the structure.
- Do not allow snow to accumulate too extensively on the roof. The weight of the snow can cause a collapse. In addition, the melting snow can leak into the property, should there be cracks or other structural damage.
- When removing snow from the roof, remove it carefully and in layers on each side of the roof to maintain an equal weight on each side. Do not remove all signs of snow; two to three inches should be left on top of the structure.
SERVPRO of Cecil County offers 24/7 emergency response for roof damage and other storm related events. We also provide residential and commercial properties with fire, water, mold and cleaning services for any extent of damage.
Storm Damage Services in Elkton, MD
SERVPRO of Cecil County offers full storm cleanup and restoration services for our local Elkton area. We recently helped to restore an Elkton home after they suffered water damage in their finished basement. An inch of water had flooded the lower floor which consisted of several areas including a living room and bathroom. The floor was also carpeted so the floor had to be removed in order to properly mitigate all of the affected areas.
Once all water is extracted and the affected areas are fully dry on storm damage losses such as this, SERVPRO of Cecil County also offers our Repairs services from our Reconstruction Department. This department handles the rest of a loss after a water or storm damage event so that the property is fully restored and “Like it never even happened.”
Our Reconstruction Department offers these services to many homes and businesses in the Cecil County area, including during the aftermath left behind by Hurricane Isaias during the summer.
In addition to our storm damage restoration services including water extraction, drying and dehumidification, and cleaning, our Reconstruction Department handles services including painting, floor replacement and roof repairs. SERVPRO of Cecil County is here to help restore your fire, mold, water or storm damages, no matter the extent of the damage.
Protecting Your Home From Flooding
At SERVPRO of Cecil County, our restoration professionals work hard to help restore homes and businesses in our local community. We are equipped with the knowledge and equipment to restore your property from any size storm disaster. However, there are steps you can take on your own to prevent damages after a storm.
- Be prepared for emergencies and ensure that your insurance policy will cover water damage in the event of a flood.
- Inspect your home for pre-existing damages in order to prevent a worse water issue.
- Stay alert of weather in your local area.
- Inspect your gutters, and regularly clear them of dirt and debris.
- Install barriers to prevent water from entering your home.
- When renovating your home, remember to use flood-resistant materials to protect the property from further damage.
These measures will protect your home in the event of flooding and significantly minimize the damages to your property. If you experience any flooding or storm damage, call SERVPRO of Cecil County at 410-620-3322. We are equipped for any size flooding disaster.
Storm Safety During a Tornado
SERVPRO of Cecil County is always prepared to help when a storm disaster strikes. Natural storm events such as tornadoes are common during this time of year through the United States, so it is important to be ready if one strikes in your area. When tornadoes wreak havoc in our area of Cecil County, our storm restoration professionals are quick to help restore the damages. We want to help make even the destruction from a large scale storm “Like it never even happened.”
Accuweather forecasts an average of 1,350 to 1,450 tornadoes for this year with active weather to be continued mainly across the South in March and early April. However, tornadoes are still a possibility in our local area, so it is critical to be prepared in case of a storm emergency. Some of the important steps you should take in order to be prepared and remain safe in the event of a tornado are outlined below.
- Follow updates on the storm and listen for evacuations in your area.
- Create an emergency kit of supplies including a list of emergency numbers as well as flashlights, blankets, extra clothing and non-perishable food items in case of a power outage.
- Communicate an emergency plan with your family in case of a storm.
- During the storm, stay out of rooms with windows and evacuate to the basement or an interior room on the lowest floor.
- If you are evacuated, do not enter the area of the storm or your home until it is declared safe to do so. Have a professional inspect your home for structural damage as well.
SERVPRO of Cecil County understands the devastation that occurs after these storms, and we are here to help when we are needed the most. We offer 24/7 emergency services for the Cecil County area for storm damage. Contact us at 410-620-3322 to learn more.
Storm Preparation During a Power Outage
When a storm hits, it is common to experience a power outage that can last anywhere from hours to days. It is important to have an emergency kit prepared for when this happens. Stocking up on food, water and other supplies will eliminate some of the stress of the situation and keep you and your family safe until the storm and power outage is over.
The American Red Cross stresses the importance of an emergency kit in your home. However, only half of homeowners in the United States are reported to own one.
The supplies you collect in your storm emergency kit should last a minimum of five days for everyone in your home. The most critical supplies are listed below:
- Bottled water
- Non-perishable food
- Battery-operated radio and clock
- Can opener
- List of emergency phone numbers
- First aid kit
The storm restoration professionals at SERVPRO of Cecil County are always prepared to repair and restore your home from storm damage. We also offer an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) for businesses in our local area that includes important information such as emergency contacts, building access information and other critical elements of an emergency plan.
If your home or business is affected by storm damage, contact our team at 410-620-3322. We are here to help make the damage “Like it never even happened.”
Preparing for Winter Storms
Preparing for a winter storm is the best way to stay safe during and after the storm has subsided. A variety of property issues, accidents and injuries are common during a storm, but there are preventative actions you can take to eliminate those risks and lessen your worry when a winter storm hits.
- Stock up on supplies including salt and shovels. Salt driveways and walkways before the storm and be sure to keep them free of snow and ice.
- Power outages are common, so it is important to have extra clothing or blankets ready to keep warm as well as supplies such as flashlights and enough food and water to remain safe.
- Frozen pipes are another problem to look out for. You should insulate any exposed pipes, close the indoor valves where water travels outside of the home, and open any outdoor valves to keep excess water from remaining and freezing. If the pipes do freeze, you can use a heating pad or hot towels to thaw them.
- To ensure that cold air doesn’t enter your home, seal any openings in your doorways and windows and repair any signs of damage to your walls or roof. After a large snowstorm, snow should be removed from the roof in order to prevent a possible roof collapse or water leaking into the home as the snow melts.
Following these preventative guidelines and safety measures in the event of a storm can help keep you and your family safe as well as save you from water damage in your home. Water and storm damage can be costly and overwhelming, so our team at SERVPRO of Cecil County is always here to help. We offer 24-hour emergency services for our local homeowners and businesses in Cecil County.
Preventing Sump Pump Failure
SERVPRO of Cecil County has been staying busy with the amount of calls we received from this weekend’s heavy downpour. Homeowners called us to help with their water damaged basements, some of which were due to sump pump failures.
Failing to maintain your sump pump and inspect it for issues can cause a large problem during a rainstorm and lead to basement flooding like in many of our recent Cecil County emergencies.
Sump pumps can fail for many reasons but most issues can be prevented through maintenance and prevention. The problems to look out for and solutions below can save you from an overwhelming water damage event in your home.
- If you experience a power outage, your sump pump will not drain the water that leaks into your home. This problem can be solved by installing a generator in order to keep the pump working in any size storm.
- A mechanical issue can also be to blame. If the pump’s switch becomes lodged or debris gets clogged in the pump, the system will not work properly. Cleaning and ensuring that the pump is positioned as it should be will eliminate this risk.
- A frozen or clogged pipe can also cause your pump to stop working properly. If your main discharge pipe freezes, having a backup line installed is an easy solution. Having a grate to catch unwanted debris will also prevent the pipe from clogging.
- Be sure to choose the right pump for your home based on size and the amount of water that it may need to handle. Choosing the wrong pump can potentially lead to an insufficient system. Install the equipment properly to ensure its efficiency.
- Maintenance is important. Cleaning and maintaining the sump pump on a quarterly basis will keep the system running smoothly.
These steps will keep your sump pump running effectively and prevent water from leaking into your home during a storm. SERVPRO of Cecil County has seen many homes left with water damage due to sump pump failure. These situations can be overwhelming and costly for homeowners, but our water and storm restoration professionals are here to clean up the mess.
Should you experience a sump pump failure or other water damage event in your home, call our team for our specialized care and guidance. We’re here to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Winter Fire Safety
Winter is here, and despite the warmer than expected weather we’ve had lately, we still need to be prepared for the inevitable winter storms that will eventually take place this season. SERVPRO of Cecil County knows that fires do not take a holiday during this time of year. In fact, there are more home fires in the cold winter months than there is in any other season.
The National Fire Protection Association outlines the steps homeowners should take in order to practice the proper fire safety measures as well as remain safe during winter storms.
- Test all smoke alarms on a monthly basis to ensure they are working properly. Install carbon monoxide detectors and check them consistently as well.
- Create an emergency escape plan for exiting your home, including a backup exit. Remove all ice and snow from your driveway and walkways to eliminate injuries.
- Check that your house number can be seen from the street if emergency personnel will need to find you.
- Be prepared for a power outage by having a supply of flashlights and batteries. Use extra layers of clothing or blankets to stay warm.
- Pay attention to news updates about the storm.
- Check on your neighbors and provide them with assistance if needed.
- Only use generators outdoors, and keep them at a distance from windows and doors.
- Be aware of any downed wires, and report them to authorities.
- Turn portable heaters off when you leave the room.
SERVPRO of Cecil County hopes that everyone stays warm and safe this winter! Should you experience a fire-related incident this season, our fire restoration professionals are ready to help. We offer 24/7 emergency services in fire and water damage, mold remediation and more in the Cecil County area. Call us today at 410-620-3322 to learn more!
Be Prepared When Disaster Strikes
Disasters come in all shapes and sizes and threaten the stability of our homes and businesses. The local restoration professionals at SERVPRO of Cecil County are here to help if that day comes and can handle any damages that come your way. However, there are steps you can take on your own to be better prepared for an emergency and ensure that you and your family are safe before help arrives.
- Sign up for local weather and emergency alerts.
- Create and test communications in the event of an emergency.
- Create an emergency supply kit.
- Learn about local hazards and practice emergency situations.
- Join a preparedness class or group.
- Store important documents in a safe place.
- Make a plan with neighbors.
- Document property and obtain the proper insurance coverage for your home.
- Repair your home and property to minimize loss.
Disaster can strike when we least expect it. Call SERVPRO of Cecil County at (410) 620-3322 if you experience any fire, water or mold emergency in your home.
When Storms or Floods Hit, SERVPRO is Ready!
SERVPRO of Cecil County specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and use specialized equipment to restore your property to pre-storm conditions.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit our local area, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of over 1700 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today [410-620-3322]
Is Your Roof Ready for Rain?
Strong rainstorms can bring extensive destruction to your home if your roof isn’t prepared for them. You should always check your roof for damages or leaks before the problem gets worse. To make sure your home is storm ready, there are signs to look for and quick fixes that you can apply before hiring a professional.
Regularly inspect your roof
- Look for leaks and signs of damage. The decking, insulation and sheet rock should not be saturated or appear rotted.
- Check the attic for signs of water dripping or stains which can indicate a leak in the roof.
- Check for moisture in the pipes, the roof joints and around the vents and chimney. Moisture can reveal signs of a possible leaky roof.
- Look for shingles that are out of place.
- Move branches away from the roof.
- Fix and replace broken shingles.
- Repair your gutter system if needed.
- If the problem is worse than a simple fix, hire a professional to repair your roof.
If you experience storm damage from a leaky roof, contact SERVPRO of Cecil County at (410) 620-3322. We provide emergency services for your storm disaster.
Signs of Winter Storm Damage
With winter approaching, there’s often more to worry about than shoveling snow. Winter storms and temperatures can cause extensive damage to your home, but SERVPRO of Cecil County is ready to help if you experience a winter disaster from common issues including the following.
Brisk temperatures can cause pipes to freeze and break, which can lead to flooding in your home.
When snow melts unevenly and freezes at the edge of your roof, an ice dam is created which prevents melted snow from draining off of the roof. The water can then leak under the shingles and into the home and cause significant water damage.
Snow and ice can damage your roof and even cause the roof to collapse if enough weight has accumulated. Water can get into cracks and expand when it freezes, causing larger cracks.
Winter can be an extremely dangerous time for your home. Be sure to check the pipes and roof of your property for signs of potential water damage and warning signs. If you experience a storm disaster, SERVPRO of Cecil County can restore your home “Like it never even happened." Call us at (410) 620-3322.
How To Prepare for Flood Damage
Flooding can be devastating to your home, but there are steps you can take to prevent and recover from this disaster. By planning for a storm, you will reduce the amount of damage to your home.
Clean the Gutters
Clean gutters will direct water to proper drainage areas and away from your home. If gutters are clogged, water can overflow and saturate the ground around the foundation and damage the property.
Maintain the Storm Drains
Storm drains are needed to direct water away from your property. If you see a problem with your storm drains, contact your local authorities so they can fix the issue.
Have a Response Plan
Be prepared for flooding. Listen for weather updates, create an emergency kit, and move to higher ground.
If your home experiences flood damage, contact the restoration professionals at SERVPRO of Cecil County immediately. We have the expertise and equipment to help make your disaster “Like it never even happened."
Ready to Handle Your Flooding Disaster
If flood water is not handled quickly and efficiently, the damages to your home can be devastating. It is imperative to call your local restoration professionals immediately to minimize the destruction. SERVPRO of Cecil County can restore your property to preloss conditions. We handle any size water disaster and are equipped with the expertise and technology to resolve any flooding or water damage.
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
To learn more about our storm restoration services, click here
Home Flooded? Call Us Today – (410) 620-3322