Preventing a Roof Collapse After a Winter Storm
Winter weather can lead to significant structural damage, including a roof collapse. SERVPRO of Cecil County often answers the call to assist with this type of storm damage, and we immediately offer our roof tarping services in order to eliminate further issues.
These further issues can’t always be avoided, which is when we offer to complete the proper water mitigation and reconstruction services that often are caused from a roof collapse. Our Reconstruction Department can even repair or replace your entire roof if needed. However, we hope to see extensive damage such as this prevented before it can appear. Below, we list some preventative actions you can take in order to avoid a roof collapse from snowfall.
- Inspect your roof for issues and make the proper repairs. Look for warning signs such as cracked or bent walls, wet roof tiles, or leaks.
- Ensure that your attic is insulated correctly. This will help to melt the snow quickly and more efficiently to prevent any storm damage.
- Business owners should have an emergency plan for all storm damage and the proper snow removal protocol. This plan should be finalized before the winter season begins.
- Clear out all dirt and debris from your drains and gutters. When the snow melts, this allows the water to easily flow away from your property and therefore not cause a clog or water collection around the structure.
- Do not allow snow to accumulate too extensively on the roof. The weight of the snow can cause a collapse. In addition, the melting snow can leak into the property, should there be cracks or other structural damage.
- When removing snow from the roof, remove it carefully and in layers on each side of the roof to maintain an equal weight on each side. Do not remove all signs of snow; two to three inches should be left on top of the structure.
SERVPRO of Cecil County offers 24/7 emergency response for roof damage and other storm related events. We also provide residential and commercial properties with fire, water, mold and cleaning services for any extent of damage.