Recent Fire Damage Posts

How To Reduce Damage After a Fire

2/1/2019 (Permalink)

When your home experiences fire damage, the restoration professionals at SERVPRO of Cecil County can help.  However, there are actions you can take to prevent further damage until we arrive. 

To stop soot from spreading into the air and on surfaces, limit your movement in the home and place old linens on carpets and furniture.  Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop soot particles from traveling in or out of your HVAC system. 

Do not attempt to clean any walls as doing so improperly can cause smearing.  Do not clean your carpets or any electronic items that were close to fire, heat or water. 

If your ceiling is wet, do not use the ceiling fans since wiring may be damaged, and air movement can cause soot to spread throughout the home. 

By using these guidelines, you can prevent your home from more damages.  If you experience any fire damage, call SERVPRO of Cecil County.  We specialize in restoring your home from fire, water and mold disasters.

Thanksgiving Fire Safety Tips

11/16/2018 (Permalink)

Thanksgiving is around the corner and we at SERVPRO of Cecil County are excited to take part in this annual tradition of great food, friends and family.  While this time of year is truly a time to celebrate and give thanks, our fire restoration specialists see the holiday a little differently.  According to The National Fire Protection Association, Thanksgiving is the leading day for home cooking fires in the United States.  Our fire restoration professionals are all too familiar with the devastation a house fire can bring to your home, but there are steps you can take to prevent a fire disaster from ruining your perfect holiday. 

  • Stay in the kitchen and check on the food periodically.
  • Young children should always be kept away from the stove and any other fire hazards.
  • The floor should be clear of any items that can cause a potential slip or fall.
  • It is also a good idea to ensure that your smoke alarms are properly working.

By following these safety tips, we guarantee that you and your family will have a safe Thanksgiving. Should you experience fire damage in your home, contact SERVPRO of Cecil County and we’ll make your holiday disaster “Like it never even happened".

Smoke Alarm Safety

11/16/2018 (Permalink)

No one wants to think about a fire striking their home or business, but preparation can be the key to keeping everyone safe and minimizing damages. The National Fire Protection Association states that smoke alarms should always be properly installed and maintained in order to do just that. 

For Homes

Smoke alarms should be installed in every bedroom and on every floor of the property.  Be sure to test smoke alarms each month using the test button.  Replace the batteries every year and the entire alarm every ten years. 

For Commercial

You should check your state requirements to ensure all codes are met.  These smoke alarms typically do not require as much testing and can activate throughout the building if smoke is detected in one area. 

By following these steps, you can protect your home or business from a devastating fire loss.  Should you experience any fire damage, contact SERVPRO of Cecil County.  We can help make your disaster “Like it never even happened”.

Kitchen Grease Fire

10/8/2018 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Kitchen Grease Fire Affected Kitchen

Late this summer, SERVPRO of Cecil County was  called to an Elkton home that experienced a grease fire in their kitchen. After leaving a pan on the stove, the kitchen was extensively burned along with other areas of the home being affected. Grease fires are a serious safety hazard. Here’s how you can prevent them in your home.

  1. Safety First! Have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen or nearby.
  2. Be Cautious! Do not leave the room when a hot pan is on the stove.
  3. Be Alert! If the grease starts to smoke, turn down the heat.
  4. Be Prepared! Keep anything combustible away from the stove such as dish towels.
  5. Be Smart! If a pan catches fire, do not throw water on it. Instead, smother the flames by using an oven mitt to place the lid on top of the pan.

By following these precautions, you will keep your home safe from grease fires and be able to enjoy your kitchen for years to come.